Born in Kavala in 1927, he received his first lessons in painting and drawing in Thessaloniki by the painter Polykleitos Rengos, with whom he worked on many frescoes. He continued in Paris at the École Nationale Supérieure Ν. des Beaux Arts
(M. Brianchon), the École Supérieure des Arts Decoratifs (Felix Labisse) and the Ecole d’Art Italien in Gino Severini’s mosaic workshop. Upon returning to Greece he taught at the Vakalo School (1960-1971). His first solo exhibition was presented
in 1959 in Thessaloniki (Diagonios).
His work comprises painting, drawing and printmaking on a variety of subjects—landscapes, still lifes, portraits, etc. Yet his ‘trademark’ works depict female figures and nudes in languid postures, exuding a feeling of bliss and wellbeing. The nude female bodies are rendered with clean and simple lines, drenched in light and often without facial features so as to emphasise their archetypal aspect. The figures are noble and discreetly sensual, and the atmosphere is poetic, almost lyrical, with traces of melancholia.
After 1975 he trains in Tibetan art and turns to Buddhism, trying to introduce its teachings in his personal self-fulfilment and his art. His interest in the healing properties of colours leads him to a different attitude to painting, albeit without markedly affecting his thematic and stylistic choices.
He presented his work in over twenty solo exhibitions and participated in group shows in Greece and abroad—indicatively, Greek Art Now (Cna Gallery, Chicago 1974); Panorama of Greek painting 1950-1975 (Museum Ostwall, Dortmund 1976); Contemporary Greek Painters & Printmakers (Hellenic Cultural Centre, Nicosia 1978), etc. His works can be found in public and private collections in Greece and abroad.